This is a perfect recipe for a cozy day. It is believed that masoor dal helps to stabilise blood sugar level, keeps the heart healthy by lowering cholesterol and is an effective remedy against Weight Loss.
When you crave for a simple home cooked meal with few ingredients and less cooking time, than Masoor Dal tadka should be your choice of meal.
Serve with steamed rice.
Cuisine Pan India
Prep Time Soak for 30 mins
Cook Time 20 to 25 minutes
Serves 4 people
Sansar Masoor Dal 1 Cup
Onion 1 medium size – cut in small pieces
Tomato 1 medium size – cut in small pieces
Green chillies 2 or 3 (depending on your taste for spicy food)
Ginger Garlic paste 1 Tspn
Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
Chilli Powder 1 teaspoon (Optional – if you want extra spicy)
Salt To Taste
Water 3 cup (or as required)
Oil or Ghee 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida 1 pinch
Coriander leaves 1 tablespoon (finely chopped)
Lemon Juice ¼ teaspoon. (Optional- Just to add that extra zing in your dal)
- Wash and soak the Sansar Masoor Dal for 30 minues.
- Pressure cook the dal with a pinch of turmeric powder and ½ cup water upto 3 whistles.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and add ginger garlic paste, chopped onion and sauté till golden brown followed by tomato and green chillies.
- Mix the boiled dal, masalas, salt and cooked veggies. Add water as required. Bring to boil for another 10 mins.
- In a tempering pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and pour the mixture into the Dal.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and add lemon juice.
- Serve with Steamed Rice