Idli is a traditional healthy breakfast item favoured by many people in India. Loved by adults and children, it can be enjoyed during the day as a snack as well.
The main ingredients are rice and urad dal(lentils) which are soaked for 6 to 8 hours to make soft and fluffy so that the idlis will just melt in your mouth.
Cuisine South India
Prep Time Soak for 6 to 8 hours. Ferment for 6 hours.
Cook Time 20 to 25 minutes
Serves 4 people
Sansar Urad Dal 1 cup
Parboiled or Idli rice 3 cups
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Oil or Ghee 1 tsp
Salt As per Taste
Water As required
- Wash and soak rice and dal separately for 6 to 8 hours. Soak fenugreek seeds along with the dal
- Grind rice and dal separately. Keep adding water until you get a fine consistency. It should neither be watery nor too thick.
- Mix rice and dal in a steel or glass bowl. Add salt as per taste. If the batter is thick add little water.
- Keep it overnight or 6 to 8 hours to ferment.
- Spread ghee or oil before pouring the batter in the mould. You can make mini idlis with the same batter. Choose the mould you prefer.
- Steam and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Insert a fork to check if Idlis are cooked properly. If the fork comes out clean than idlis are cooked well and ready to serve.
- Serve hot and fluffy Idlis with Sambhar or chatni.
- Add a little water and the same batter can be used to make Dosa as well.